The shorthanded Washington Wizards (8-20, 4-13 road) travel to Madison Square Garden to take on the New York Knicks (7-23, 4-11 home) at 7PM. Both the Wizards and Knicks are coming off a double digit loss to two of the East’s upper echelons of teams, the Philadelphia 76ers and Milwaukee Bucks, respectively. These teams will be fairly familiar with each other as they see each other twice in a week span. Tonight is the first out of four meetings between the two teams
News & Notes
- Washington enters the game 3rd in the association ion scoring, averaging 117.4 points per game.
- Bradley Beal has scored at least 30 points in three of his last four games. In the 13 games that Beal has scored 30 plus points, the Wizards are 5-8
- The injury bug has hit Washington hard, and taken another player. Davis Bertans is out for this match-up with a quadriceps injury. Over the last ten games, Bertans is averaging 19 points on 43 percent shooting (40 percent from three) while adding 5 rebounds.
- Isaiah Thomas was suspended by the NBA and will miss the next two games, following his excursion into the stands Saturday night at Philadelphia.
- The Wizards are 3-12 in their last 15 games, allowing close to 123 points on 50 percent shooting, however…
- Since firing coach David Fizdale on December 6, the Knicks are 3-5 under interim head coach Mike Miller. During this brief span, New York has averaged 110.1 points per game, while allowing 115.6.
- Washington is 18-3 vs the Knicks in the last 21 games played.
Key Matchup: Wizards Front Court vs Knicks Front Court
Washington will have to rely on the youth of Issac Bonga, Troy Brown Jr., Admrial Schofield, Ian Mahinmi and Anzejs Pasecniks to play well against the veteran talent of the Knicks. New York will trot out swing forwards Julius Randle (17.3 ppg, 8.8 rebs) and Marcus Morris Sr. (18.4 ppg), in addition to big men Mitchell Robinson and Taj Gibson for rebounding and defense. These players will test the young, inexperienced Wizards front court for 48 minutes.
Washington: Rui Hachimura, John Wall, C.J. Miles, Thomas Bryant, Davis Bertans, Moritz Wagner, Jordan McRae, Isaiah Thomas (Suspension) all OUT
New York: Wayne Ellington, Reggie Bullock both OUT
Spread: New York (-3.5)
New York Money Line (-165)
Washington Money Line (+145)
New York is 14-13-0 ATS (Against the Spread)
Washington is 12-11-1 ATS (Against the Spread)